PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND 5
Thread: SOUTHEND 5
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2017, 20:11
asdf1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DC3 Dave
Personally, I welcome anything that drags Stobart kicking and screaming back to reality and away from the ludicrous 10,000,000 pax pa claims. And yet sometimes, I am troubled by my own statements. Because without their wild optimism where exactly would SEN be? Who else would have chucked bucketfuls of money to develop a throwback to 1960's Britain? Keep calm and carry on, but just be sensible I say.

I fully understand what you investment savvy chaps (and chapesses -possibly) are saying, but as a premium bond man myself, I'm just trusting to luck and hoping for the best.
Anyone who values UK aviation, and the airport infrastructure required to support it, will be fully behind Stobart's attempts at refreshing SEN. I for one hope they succeed, in fact I WANT them to to succeed.

I just despair at the way in which they are going about putting SEN back on the map. The owners seem to be gambling the long term future of the airport by focusing on the vanity of pax numbers over profitable operations.

Organic growth was never an option; the owners went straight for the top prize of easyJet despite that meaning that attracting airlines 2, 3 and 4 would be near to impossible.

Reality has now hit home and the only new routes that are being launched are those being run and underwritten by the owners themselves - an absolute folly in terms of commercial sense.

But still I hope its somehow all succeeds because we need more successful airports in the UK, not less.