PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uncommanded thrust reverser deployment in flight
Old 6th Sep 2017, 12:18
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The airforced trained PF then completed the roll through 360 deg and requested clearance to return to the field.
On ground examination found nothing wrong.

Ah, the famous "ground tested found satis" tech log reply. I wonder what the FDR showed. That would have been interesting. Indeed, following the a/c all the way through the manoeuvre, rather than reversing it, might sometimes be the best action. Not recommended with looping high nose attitude though.

I can't remember accurately the follow up to Lauda. They went in the sim and experimented and I think they all failed. I don't recall if they tried just closing both TL's immediately to gain control and descending. In fact, with the design of the day, would they have ended up with one at forward idea & one at reverse idle? I suspect the roll rate would have been eye watering and uncontrollable with rudder & aileron, but with both at idle, what then? There were a/c with too small rudders, (VMCA) when with an engine failure, and the other at full power, is was necessary to reduce thrust to gain control. Not the first instinct unless trained.