PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF 50th Reunion
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2017, 04:16
SpazSinbad

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thanks for pics 'megan' - I had purloined them earlier from your OLD GETtoGether cache and they have pride of place in the 4.4GiggleBite PDF in the early pages about those having trained in the USofA circa/circus mid to late 1960s.
“...RAN trainee pilots flew the T28C Trojan to the Lexington when in basic training (Squadron VT-5), as did those that did their S2 Tracker training with the USN. ‘Qualification’ required a minimum of four acceptable arrests, usually with a touch-and-go first. Takeoff in the T28 was ‘free deck’ (catapult not used), and I remember it was quite unnerving to see 30 or 40 knots on the ASI as you went off the bow. The date was 6th July 1967, and the aircraft BuWeps number was 140610.

(For your readers, the ‘Charlie’ model was equipped with a tail hook and reduced diameter propeller and so could operate from carriers. The other T28 flown was the ‘Bravo’ model with no hook and larger diameter prop).

Of interest is the deck. As an old WW2 era carrier which originally operated all prop aircraft, the flight deck had a layer of wooden blocks (akin to cobblestones) on it. The reason was that a "prop strike" on wood did less damage to the prop/engine than steel. There was also less chance of major steel-on-steel sparking during a strike, plus repairs to the deck meant just changing the damaged blocks. Prop strikes were the reason for the reduced diameter prop on the T28C....” John ‘Bomber’ Brown [Iroquois RANFAA contingent No.9 Sqdn RAAF Vietnam then Wessex then Helo Instructor BritLand] ‘Slipstream’ FAAA magazine 2002, Vol.13 No.4
So 'Ascend Charlie' I imagine you know (at least some of) the RAAF Iroquois jocks in No.67 course? We lost two in a 'mast bump' near Canberra episode in 1969 (I'll have to check). Bob Redmond went on to be a Helo Test Pilot AFAIK.
"Iroquois A2-386 UH-1B 62-4608 386 ...Crashed 02/04/69, Captains Flat NSW. Main rotor separated in mid-flight and crashed at Captain's Flat, NSW. Crew; PLTOFF E. Collett, (Pilot) & FLGOFF I. McLean. This was 2 months after the crash of A2-719 in similar circumstances. http://www.adf-serials.com.au/3a2.htm

Last edited by SpazSinbad; 6th Sep 2017 at 04:31. Reason: add brownian text