PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can you advice me a good EASA PPL course in the USA?
Old 5th Sep 2017, 21:59
MotoRinzler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been looking into FAA PPL rather than EASA simply due to time frames of training. The costs aren't the saving it used to be due to exchange rates.

However. One thing I did find out is how I could use the FAA PPL back in the UK

FAA PPL can be used to fy N-Reg in UK.

FAA PPL can be used to gain (read paper application): UK NPPL which if I understand correctly. Gives you the same EASA PPL rights but limited to UK airspace plus Non-EASA A/C in UK airspace.... I'm sure someone can confirm or correct this.

The UK NPPL can then be used to gain (read paper application): EASA LAPL which limits you to MTOW of 2000kg and max 4 POB inc Pilot but EASA wide. If you have 6 hrs Solo from license on the NPPL you don't need the 10hr before PX.

Then you can top up training for the EASA PPL if needed. You can also hold the FAA PPL, the UK NPPL and the EASA LAPL at the same time. You can now also fly using the FAA PPL in EASA land with a US class 3 medical.

In short. The USA route doesn't look to save almost any money - in fact, every time I've looked.. the EASA in the US cam out more expensive. BUT but but. .... its 5 or 8 weeks rather than a year in the UK.

I costed the FAA up with conversion time on rtn... even with the long-winded NPPL>LAPL>Training>EASA PPL... your looking at the same costs (but with lots of hassle).

I'm currently researching Canada. No visa for PPL training as long as its less than 6month. Cost wise looking quite good but need to dig deeper on how I convert it to EASA or if the same NPPL route is viable.