PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drones threatening commercial a/c?
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2017, 15:52
Manfred Von Holstein

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would think that the "greatest good for the greatest number" applies here. The simple fact is that no legislation or technical approach is going to forestall all possible malicious use of light-aircraft/gliders/drones/rc models.

However, if we can exclude the ignorant/clueless from operating drones in conflict with commercial traffic, a great deal of progress will have been made. So keeping drones away from airfields and out of controlled airspace should be the immediate priority; and the previously mentioned measures would take of, in time, the great majority of such "mischievious" (albeit hideously irresponsible) near-misses.

As far as the "malicious technically capable user" goes, once the issue has been reduced to contending with these individuals only, it's more easily dealt with by bringing standard Police methods one the craft is brought down. If modifying a drone to permit it to be flown in controlled airspace were then a specific offence, then these - relatively rare individuals - can be dealt with as a manageable problem.

We need to bear in mind though, that whilst distracting and potentially dangerous, they're rather less dangerous, statisically, than light-aircraft blundering into controlled airspace. I once had the bejezus scared out of me by of all things a helium-filled greyish party-balloon, which flashed past within inchess of my Pa28 before my brain could process what it was. Silly now, but at the time it frightened me fartless.

In short, measures to ameliorate the "drone problem" will come, but it's merely one of a number of distracting/dangerous unexpected things we can collide with, from birds, balloons, drones, light aircraft upwards; so it's probably worth keeping a sense of proportion about them.

What I fond more interesting, in the light of Solly Sullenberger's ditching, is how ETOP's has skewed the percieved risks of such collisions. When 4 engines was the norm, the loss of a single engine was not overtly serious, but now, as no-one apparantly foresaw that Geese might fly in formations sufficient to stop two engines, the airline industry has become rather more alert about anything that can be ingested and which might suddenly make 50% - or more - of their engines nauseous or worse. Hence the current 'attack of the vapours' over drones, I suspect.