PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Cadet" pilot or First Officer under training?
Old 5th Sep 2017, 14:47
The Green Goblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DR DRE
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green Goblin View Post
If anyone thinks a cadet fresh out of flying school in the right seat is just as safe as an experienced direct entry FO, they need their head read.
I don't think anyone here thinks that a cadet with 0 hours on an A320 will be as proficient as a direct entry A320 FO with 4000hrs on type. I think what people are saying is that a "direct entry FO" being someone with thousands of hours flying light, non-FBW aircraft but none on the 320 wouldn't necessarily be more proficient as the cadet.
That's not what I'm saying at all.

A cadet on their first flight is not as proficient as a direct entry FO with no previous jet experience. If anyone thinks they are, they need their head read.

A cadet doesn't know what they don't know. That's not their fault. It's purely the fact they have not gained thousands of hours of flying experience along with perhaps a regional command and the lessons that are learned along the way.

That's not to say they won't get there. Of course, they will. They are usually pretty smart kids. It just takes time.

The biggest lessons are usually the personal ones. How do you react when you're really scared? Have you ever had that experience that this is it, and how did you get it here? What is everyone going to say? Have you just about written yourself off? How close did you actually get? I got very lucky.

I would say the biggest lessons I learnt from GA was not the flying experience. It was the decision making experience. The ability to take a step back and 'nut' something out after the 'oh ****'....You don't want to be learning that about yourself in a jet. It's something a sim can't prepare you for.