PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Location
Thread: PPL Location
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2017, 12:51
ComeFlyWithB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by l10fly
Don't discount Barton until you have factored in the time & travel costs to Blackpool or Liverpool. A few hundred mile round trips for cancelled lessons will soon dampen the enthusiasm, plus the cost of 5000 - 6000 miles driving needs to go into the equation. I fly from Barton regularly, the schools are goos & delays are virtually none existent.

Ravenair are good but flying from Liverpool can be frustrating. I instructed at Liverpool (nor Ravenair) for 10 years, circuits can be impossible at times with commercial traffic and the transit in and out of the zone is not the best use of time.

I've not flown with Westair but Blackpool is a good learning environment. Hawarden is another option (full disclosure - I now instruct there part time).

Be very, very, weary of paying for a full course up front. I've seen too many lose as a result.
Valid point taken onboard, Barton is 25mins down the motorway 16/18miles each way with Blackpool being 106m round trip roughly an hour each way, Liverpool is only 45mins away but with my sister just graduating from Liverpool uni the stories of 2hours each way in traffic with the 50mph limit in place still, are a concern.

Hawarden which I happily admit I've never heard of is the same as Blackpool after a quick google maps and after an initial browse on the website looks to be very interesting.

With fair estimation I'm probably looking around the £500-£700 mark for fuel plus an hour each way for Westair and Liverpool respectively using my current vehicle. Whereas Barton more like £200

I did have chat at Barton last week with a very helpful lady whom Ive forgotten the name of but the cost on the initial face of it put me off somewhat however in hindsight I admit this may be unjust.

What you have kindly highlighted was my primary concern with Liverpool the pro of "proper" ATC from day 1 has these cons.