PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quality of ATSB reports getting worse?
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2017, 10:43
Flying Binghi

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MagnumPI
The salient point of these reports might be obvious enough but I do believe that if there are consistent grammatical errors that this indicates a lack of thoroughness in the overall investigation. Just because these safety incidents are often repetitive in nature doesn't mean that a poorly written report is adequate.

If you submitted a report like this to an academic institution it wouldn't cut the mustard. We are expected to believe that scientific investigation has taken place, so why shouldn't there be a factually accurate and grammatically correct report?...
Yep.

The report is the 'coal face' of all the work that happened prior. The interface between the investigators findings and we the reader. If the report reader caint understand or make use of the investigators findings then what is the point of the investigation ?

While a poorly written report might offer annoyance to the more learned around here they soon enuf see and understand the error and read on. To those like me with poor written and reading skills a poorly written report can be a confusing read that needs multiple readings to get a sense of the finer details. Whilst I'm a bit dogged and will persevere I would suspect younger pilots with the instant easy digest info mindset will simply not bother labouring though a poorly written report.