PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2017, 00:39
MotoRinzler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the risk of causing sparks...

I fully understand that this 'reality check' will be viewed as a service to the 'dreamy wannabee'. Yet one would also expect a balanced view.

Why people need to feel that the advice given has been wasted simply because others don't tip their hat in complete thanks and agreement and give the response you wanted, is ironic when it is described as the wannabee not getting the answer they wanted as the issue. If there is an imbalance of experience and knowledge, then educate and explain.

I truly value the responses I received... otherwise, I would not have even bothered to ask, let alone discuss and debate. My probing and response were to dig a little deeper into understanding. Not simply because I didn't get the answer I wanted. After all... if you all just said.. Yes you'll be fine. How does that help? without understanding why.

Some have said I was looking for validation. In my case - I was looking to see what sort of things made or not made you employable early 40's. I was looking to understand if age was the only issue.

At the moment I'm left with the impression it's all about: don't bother because you'll never earn the big money, and you'll have to work weekends type of responses. Yeh if you're rich then throw away 100k. Can I live on 25K. Can I take not finding a job.

I can't argue that 60 - 70K would be nice to spend on ... errrr... something else that I'd think I might want instead of flying. I could split it for example equally over the next 15 years (which was said to be my career return on investment time) and have all of 4.5k annually. Not a sum to be sniffed at... but is 4.5K a year worth a dream or a chance? Personal choices time.

In the most part... I can't say I actually found answers to the actual questions like does ATPL TK pass marks make any difference, does the school, the flight report, the hour building activities... or is it all about age.

For those that comment about money. Personally. Once you pay the bills: The amount you 'make' is for peacocks only (personal view). I for one have no need to earn a set amount to feel successful and be happy with life. Remember this isn't about how 'nice' more money is... it's about how 'Successful' I feel and my measure of 'achieving something'. In my world, it's earning enough to pay the bills and put food on the table for the family, keep them safe and give them moderate normal experiences whilst enjoying how I earn the funds to do it. Keep my family safe and make sure my wife and children know they are loved. I'm willing to do a job I hate if it's needed, 2 or even three jobs, but we're talking about being happy and a measure of success here not just providing.

Can I live on earning 25K? I smile... any idea what normal households bring home in this part of the UK (no need to respond). I work shifts, 6am starts, then 8pm finishes. 6on , 3 off. The finishes depend on the job in hand and what comes up... it could be extended to 4am (example) with no notice. 365 days.. xmas off every 3 or 4 years. Holidays are hard to take and I am in harm's way (literally) on a daily basis. I do enjoy it I admit, or I'd stop and stack shelves in Aldi. With a few (1 or 2) hrs overtime a week I'd be almost on the same money for no responsibility or risk, 9-5pm and probably no weekends. My salary is less than an EJ type rating! The last research I did indicated that even prop work paid around 28K plus flight/sector pay, increasing year on year.

In relation to spending time at home with family etc.. Anyone who is going to try and paint the picture that not spending time with the family on weekends, or not being free to take a holiday without any issues as some huge drawback and unforgivable situation; is a little out of touch with the rest of us normal working folk, who for the privilege of putting food on the table must at best (for the most part) do a job we neither love or hate.

If you have the support of your family network (what ever that may be for you) inside your own particular family dynamic, then I don't see the issue. Every family is different. Some need lt's of money to be happy, some needs a lot of 'you' to be happy, some just need 'you' to be happy and be there when you can.

You can scream 'reality check' as much as you want, but the fact is... some people spend almost the same amount of funds a CPL needs on a brand new Audi A8, a boat, a holiday, a mature students degree, landscaping the garden or on season tickets to watch football. Some just drink it away in the pub every Saturday away from the family with mates over the course of a lifetime. Some even save it and invest it, then die never spending it. Agan... being willing or prepared to spend 70K is not a measure of how easy money is throw away. It is a personal decision and is quite complex and different I would imagine for everyone.

The 'COST' in relation to funds, family, sacrifice, hardship etc will be different to everyone.

Sucess is much I suspect the same. For different people, different drivers will dictate their view of success. For some it's money. Wages, Status, perks, uniform, bragging rights, a childhood dream, or just the unexplainable sense of wanting and belonging without a real explanation as to why + opportunity and have a chance to go for it.

What makes some pilots employable over others.....? So far age is said to a factor but not a deciding factor, as there are plenty of low hour youngsters without a job as well. For all I know, it could do with the math test scores on the selection or the address on my CV.

I've decided to concentrate on a PPL first.. as without that I can't even move regardless of prospects or funds. Never know... I might even be happy enough pottering around in a little C152 laughing at all you guys away from home, bored at 38k ft disillusioned with a job you once dreamed of doing, having contracts cut, reduced perks, medicals, pilotless Airliner entry dates. Or I'll still be looking up like a kid with a grin on my face

Ironically... The cost of keeping a SEP on a PPL valid by general self-hire is about the same as the IRME annual revalidation. At least I know that if I can afford to get it, I can afford to keep it, thus keeping the ATPL TK alive and all valid. Rusty is another thing... but if we're talking about simply ticking a box to keep the rating alive. The cost is equal to that of a PPL SEP rating.... which I can do with what I do now. So worst thing is train, and continue to do what I'm doing....

Last edited by MotoRinzler; 5th Sep 2017 at 01:12.