PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uncommanded thrust reverser deployment in flight
Old 4th Sep 2017, 18:00
bafanguy

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by IcePack
My point being sometimes s** the qrh just do whatsynecessary.(remember full rudder & full aileron)
Yep...

Too long ago for me to remember the date (or apparently for Google either), Eastern Airlines had a TR on a DC9(-30 I think) come open right at rotation or immediately after in KATL.

They were dispatched with it inop but MTC didn't properly secure it so it came unlocked and fully deployed while at T/O power. IIRC, they immediately closed the throttle and shut off the fuel and lived to fly another day. If they had any advantage, it was knowing that TR had been messed with but mostly it was superior airmanship.

IIRC, the reverse component for the -30 was 40% of engine being thrust produced.

We tried the event in the sim during recurrent and if you didn't IMMEDIATELY snap the throttle to idle and shut off the fuel…you didn't make it.

As you said, no time for any book or even thinking about any book.

As for indications, I never flew a TJ airplane where the reverser indications were different air vs ground but I can't speak for all airplane types.