PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2017, 09:53
Desk-pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just for info as it might help some of you wrestling with the decision. I gave up a secure final salaried IT career at 34 and followed the dream. After an integrated course at Oxford I spent 18 months looking for a first flying job and only got one because of Oxford's referral. During that time I had to fall back on my IT skills or we'd have lost the house.

I spent 5 years flying for a UK regional - good fun, tough rosters though but great people and a lowish salary. Eventually got on a regional jet and to be honest that was the best 2 years of my career - superb aeroplane, small local base, brilliant camaraderie and decentish money. I loved it and would never have left! A company restructure though forced me back onto turboprops with an attendant pay cut so I looked elsewhere and managed to get into a big legacy carrier on shorthaul. It was my lifetime ambition realised.

The problem is the reality doesn't live up to the hype - I was junior so spent every weekend away in Europe, my hobbies and family life were none existent and I missed all my mates at the regional. It's tough going into work day after day and not knowing anyone you work with while your family are at home missing you all weekend.

I was so fed up I considered calling the old regional and asking for my job back - came very close many many times. In the end I decided the best option was going part time at the legacy. That's addressed some of the issues with lifestyle and the money still beats the regional.

The problem is because of the lack of camaraderie, the long EASA days and the changing face/culture of aviation that approaching 50 I'm now looking back and wondering if it was indeed worth it (and I was one of the lucky ones in terms of career progression).

I think the truth is you may be better off sticking with a current well paid (IT, accountancy etc) career and going part time. You will be able to enjoy more time with your family, more time with your friends asnd hobbies and you will be able to retire earlier! If I'd stayed in IT I'd still have a final salary pension, my mortgage would be paid off and I would be planning to retire by 55 to spend time playing guitar, going for bike rides and doing other stuff all of which is more fun than flying heavy metal.

Is the actual flying bit better than IT - yes, but with IT I'd be home again tonight in 8 hours whereas I won't be home for several days and that begins to become a drag especially as you get older.

I'm only giving my perspective and I hope it's helpful. Most people who have been flying for a while eventually begin to regard it as a job like any other and would rather be doing something else. All my pilot mates feel the same, many are trying to develop businesses to find a way out. I too was the kid with the airband at the airshows, I stood by the fence at airports, built my own flight simulator, built airfix kits and all the rest of it but cost cutting and EASA is sapping everybody's enthusiasm now and mostly you'll just feel tired of it.

If you do go ahead don't be taken in by the glossy megacarriers and the big jets - you'll often have far more fun flying a turboprop with your mates out of a small airfield - trust me!