PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pearson airport (CYYZ) suffers another close call on a runway
Old 4th Sep 2017, 03:18
Kewbick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm...thinkin' about those hold lights and the preponderance of regional carriers being involved in the runway incursions at CYYZ. Could it possibly be a cockpit height to runway/taxiway surface issue? i.e. regional carriers operate somewhat smaller, thereby lower cockpit/runway height ratio than the larger aircraft types. Just pondering... perhaps over time due to FOD, et al, the reduction in brilliance of the lights would have a greater effect to regional type (smaller/lower) aircraft than larger type aircraft? In other words, "the higher you are, the more you can see"...

Just throwin' it out there so you'all can shoot it down.

Decades ago, as a novice Cessna 185 pilot landing at CYYC, (yes, Calgary), at night for the first time, whilst taxiing on seemingly endless flat land, I was momentarily overwhelmed by the myriad of blue taxiway lights. Mesmerizing, to say the least. I took a brief turn into the grass.. Several years later when I flew right-seat for a now defunct regional carrier on a "huge" Dash-7, I had no trouble with the sea of taxiway lights. Stop bars were not yet invented.

Last edited by Kewbick; 4th Sep 2017 at 04:12.