PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 3rd Sep 2017, 15:06
going_up

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aus_Phenom100
Thanks mate. They certainly are onto it. They have been great so far.

I initially accepted an offer on the ERJ which was my preference already being type rated on an Embraer aircraft. However, the airline contacted me and informed me that there will be an 'up to 3-4 months' wait for the ERJ. With that they offered me the CRJ to get me over and flying straight away.

I am looking forward to the training. Having gone through a pretty fast paced Type Rating and Multi Crew course for the Phenom, (not quite CRJ size but the systems all seem similar) I am sure I will be ok if I apply the same dedication to study, flows, systems, SOP's and recall items etc.

Are you on the ERJ or CRJ?
You made the right choice heading over to the CRJ. The ERJ is awesome, but the quality of life is not so great while being junior on the ERJ. With the CRJ, your reserve time is next to nothing. My buddy just went thru his training is holding a line straight off IOE.

Sorry for the use of such terms. Let me explain. you will first complete your CTP, following that you will do indoc and CRJ or ERJ ground school. Then comes the sims. You will do your Manoeuvres training in the same first, followed by the validation (Maneuverers validation). The last part is LOFT (Line orientated flight training) concluding with the LOE (Your type rating and ATP check ride)

Once you finish your training at SLC (CRJ) or DEN (ERJ) you will then move to your domicile and wait to start line training (IOE - Initial Operating Experience) with a check airmen (check captain). Once you are all signed off and complete your IOE, you will most likely sit reserve. Reserve is basically "on call"
The standard reserve call out is 2 hours. Ready reserve has you at the airport and requires you to be at the gate within 15 minutes of being called.
Once you are senior enough, you hold a line and bid for a schedule. How long until you can hold a line? This varies on where you are based and what aircraft. My buddy just finished his IOE and can bid to hold a line in less than a month.

Hope this helps!