PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loading luggage, passengers and CoG
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2017, 09:07
KelvinD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the 1990s, the ex and I spent some time on the island of Boracay (Philippines), before it became over-exploited. The flight from Manila was a tiny aircraft with room for 3 passengers. The return flight was on a larger aircraft and I have no idea what it was. I remember it was a twin engine tail dragger with something like 15 to 20 seats arranged along the fuselage, facing across the cabin. When we checked in for the flight, baggage was weighed on a big old fashioned set of industrial scales. As we were boarding the aircraft, a couple of blokes in tee shirts, shorts and flip flops were loading the baggage. The baggage was stowed in the cabin, on the floor, in between the 2 rows of passengers. Once all was loaded, the 2 baggage handlers climbed over the baggage, donned sun glasses and settled down in the driving seats! We were taking off toward the NE which was a bit worrying as the airport then had a hill at that end, with the sea immediately beyond that. After lifting off, the pilot seemed to put the aircraft into a steep climb until we had cleared the hill, then into a shallow dive, presumably to get some air speed back. A bit like driving over a hump back bridge. I had to stop myself from shouting "Wheee"! Half the passengers were either crying or screaming, including a lady sat opposite me who never stopped praying and crossing herself for the entire trip! I have never been so glad to get off an aircraft. As I say, I have no idea what the plane was but from the seat belts I could see it had been a Pan Am aircraft once upon a time. The abiding memory of that trip was watching the crew climb over the mound of baggage along the cabin floor!