PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RPAS Gongs
Thread: RPAS Gongs
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2017, 12:26
gijoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RAF_Techie101
Apology accepted. I was more surprised at theuglyfendoff's reply which is his second post on PPRUNE and the first since 2011. Obviously a topic close to home.

What both replies suggest is that metallic recognition should be more for the contribution you make to the war as apposed to just being there. This is a fair point to an extent - how many times do you see senior officers finding an excuse to go to a conflict zone for 30 days and then leaving again.

I gained my Afghan medal by doing 45 days accumulated service - I was TriStar ground crew and it took about 4 years of flying in and out to build up enough days in theatre to qualify. This obviously in no way compares to the army guys we took out there who were doing multiple six month tours and being shot st, but the qualification criteria are what they are. Who decides if you've earned it? The politicians? The medal office! Senior officers? The queen? Is flying in and out of an airfield in a 1970's airliner more dangerous than being inside the wire for the whole tour? They're all subjective questions and there's no right answer.

I am in no way saying that the RPAS operators don't contribute to the war effort - but in the sameness way doesn't everyone in the military do so? If my colleagues in the squadron hadn't fixed and serviced the aircraft before I came in to work to go to Afghan on it, it wouldn't have made it, so aren't they contributing too?

My personal opinion (and it's just that) remains that you should be out of the country at the very least. The RPAS engineers can't do their jobs from back in the UK after all.

Call me a moron or anywhere name under the sun if you wish, it's just my opinion. Just try not to bite too hard...
Let's hope it will be medallic and metallic recognition - there is too much chocolate floating around including LS&GC for officers.

If you join the RAF to mend jets, you mend jets. If you join the infantry to close and engage with enemy you might, just might, have to fix the bayonet one day. They are totally different roles - without the first, the second doesn't get to the point where he squeezes the trigger. So effect on the battlespace is a little moot. Enablers are as key as bayonets.

Drone drivers have most definitely had an effect on the battlespace during SHADER and this should be recognised.