PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming an Airline Pilot?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2017, 07:53
wes94

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm hoping I can get a hand from someone on here as I don't really have anyone I can ask in person or get advice from. So a little bit of background, I recently have decided to follow the lifelong dream of becoming a pilot; I have been working fulltime for 3 years after finishing high school in an unrelated field and am now looking into the pathways that could lead to where I want to go.

The only real valid pathway option for me (money complications) that I have found is doing a Bachelor of Aviation at Swinburne Uni. Ideally I feel like a cadetship would be the fastest and best option but I sadly cant afford that option even after HECS/FEE-HELP.

I understand how it works with a cadetship, you go through all the training and then get hired by your airline and work your way up through there. But in my case when I complete my degree what exactly would I be doing from there? It's confused me because its not like completing for example a law degree where as soon as you're done you apply to work at a law firm. Where do I go from there? What job position am I qualified for? Do I apply to multiple airlines in the hopes of getting a job?

Sorry for the long winded question; just hoping I can get some insight before I start!