PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Escape from Eastern Germany in a C150 in the 1960's
Old 1st Sep 2017, 15:36
draglift

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Escape from Eastern Germany in a C150 in the 1960's

Back in the 1970's I read a gripping account written by a guy who several years before had fallen in love with a girl in Eastern Germany, maybe the Czech Republic. He decided the best way to get her out was to learn to fly and sneak over the border.

He did a PPL in a Cessna 150 (in Austria I think) which took several months and arranged to pick her up using coded messages in a field they had thought was suitable. She would be waving a red scarf to help him identify the field. He flew illegally over the border, had difficulty navigating but eventually saw a figure frantically waving a red scarf. He managed to land in the field....

The article concluded with him saying "I no longer fly aeroplanes."

I have never heard anything more about this feat but it was a heart warming story of ingenuity, bravery, love and foolhardiness. It also showed his inexperience, fear and the multiple problems he faced such as when it became dark and he had never flown at night. I have tried to find the story on the internet but in vain. If anyone has the article I would love to read it again and a new generation could enjoy it as I did. I would hope after all the risks he took the two of them, if still alive, are still together!

Last edited by draglift; 13th Sep 2017 at 16:06. Reason: update