PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2017, 08:42
BusAirDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesgrainge
I don't doubt that most of what you say is correct, however if you cost yourself £50k on the modular route,and you can start on £40k+ in the airline's, how exactly does this not cover your outgoings? Bearing in mind the average UK salary is £27k.

You seem to apply your rules vey subjectively, even though you succeeded. Surely you can see the irony in having done exactly what people are asking you, with great success and aplomb, you are then doing your damnedest to stop people. When in reality you should be able to push the positives and say, "I did it".

Which part of the world are you working in?

1. First: Modular route with TR will NOT cost you £50K (fact) You also need to include what you pay for your hour building, for modular. I believe you need around 250 hours TT, before you get your CPL. (note I am not update on the exact requirements anymore, just an approx. figure)

So including hour building it will put you to at least £60.000

2. Second: Type Rating - you will with 99% chance have to finance your OWN Type Rating. Which can be anything between £25.000 to £40.000 - and note you will NOT always have the chance to shop around, as certain companies wants you to do your TR with certain training providers.

3. Third: Starting salary at +£40K?

Again I must ask you where do you get your information from?
I know guys doing the first 12 - 24 months on £1000 - £1500 a month after taxes. Add on top of that expenses such as commuting costs, living arrangements if you have to commute, if you in your 40's, you can't just uproot your family/children from school, and bring them to live in a 2.nd or 3.rd world country, just because you have a pipe dream of being a pilot.

Even a salary of £40K, you will struggle after taxes etc., as you will most likely have to have 2 different households.

At best the modular will cost you £90.000 including TR, if you achieve a perfect training record. £90.000 is not pocket change, and we have to work very HARD some of us, to get such money available. (of course not all work equally hard, but that would be off topic now)

So "jamesgrainge" get your facts right - and as you earlier mentioned that money is not the ultimate measurement and goal, take this fact, any other Pilot work, outside airlines, ex. turboprop, instructing and other flying work, you will not make anything close to £40.000. Maybe you should half the figure, and you will be a little closer to reality.

It's all about Decision making, which you will discover later in your pilot career, if you plan for this, this is one of the most important aspects of aviation. I got loads of advice before I started, some good, some bad, but you need the RIGHT information at various stages of your Decision Making process.
I would ask myself what is the worst that could happen, would I be able to live with that, I was in a very fortunate situation, and all played out very well. From end of training to my first job I waited 12 months, which was not bad considering my age.
I even exposed Ryanair for ageism, but that was not my battle, there was very little to gain for me to try fight the ageism battle.

I admit I was very lucky, right place, right time, and knew the right people, for me it was of course hard work, but getting the job was also 80% pure luck and timing.

This advice is for people + 40 (if you are 20 - 35 bracket I would give different advice) 36 - 40 is a grey area. I would generally say if you are finish training around 39 you should be fine, but if you start training at 40, and you have family, you need to consider the pitfalls.
A friend of mine, similar age to me, was in a good profession, lawyer, he left it all for following his dream, he even did P2F, desperate to get a job, paid own TR without a job, guess what? Now today he is still a lawyer, his family left him, his life changed forever.
I talk by experience, and first hand knowledge, know what you are getting into and than decide.

It's not about having regrets for what you did not do, it's about having regrets about what you lost on your journey.

Last edited by BusAirDriver; 1st Sep 2017 at 08:56.