PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2017, 20:39
BusAirDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"jamesgrainge"

I am one of the "lucky" 5 % who started training early 40's, and now 4500 hours RHS, so I am in a position to speak with some experience on the question. I have worked for 2 airlines, the first was a stepping stone for my current job, which I am extremely happy with.

I accepted when I started this "dream", that I would most likely NOT get a job, that was what I expected and accepted from the outset, it was
However I am refusing to let emotions and dreams mix up with reality.

The FTO's will very rarely present people with the reality, although it might seem an amazing achievement to get your licence and initial ratings, this is one small step towards your career goal, admittedly the earlier you start the journey, the better chance you will have reach living on living salary.

I can say from personal experience, last year I had my "first" holiday / rest period in nearly 4 years from flying, and I am still after 5 years not making enough salary to cover the lifestyle of my family from flying alone. We are not talking any extravagant lifestyle. The first few years I was making even less, around £1400 a month.

So if you are mid 40's, have a couple of children, and want to follow your dream, I think it's nothing wrong to give a word of warning of what to expect, the reality.

I am not complaining at all, but it's a lot easier if you are 22 and have no commitments to worry about. And the airlines they understand this too, hence more difficult to get jobs when you are older and have no experience.