PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2017, 17:16
BusAirDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are in your mid 40's, the odds are heavily stacked against you. I speak from personal experience.

I am not sure what your age is "jamesgrainge" - maybe 10 or 13 to come with the following comment "some people are driven by more than their future paycheck" - when you are in your 40's, with children / family, that future paycheck is pretty important to be sure you will have a house for your children to leave and food on the table.

You will spend close to £100.000 - this is no pocket change, and your chances to get a job that will give you a living wage, never-mind getting a living lifestyle, is maybe 5 %. You will have people from FTO's, that will "sell you the dream" but when they have your money, they don't care what happens to you, it will be you who have to fight to get your "dream job", and you will most likely have to spend more money after you finish your training to keep current, to keep your skills up to date etc.

I know one friend of mine now, he got his first job after 5 years waiting, countless interviews, he will be away from his family most of the time, but he is lucky as he has a business in can still make some income from.

For somebody who is 40, and who has children, that pay check is of great importance, I despise this idealist BS talk, that the "money does not matter" What utter nonsense. When you have done 12 months flying 900 hours, never home for your family, at least you should have paycheck to cover your mortgage and families life, even if you are not there yourself, if not what kind of selfish man are you?