PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - wireless router min operating system requirements?
Old 31st Aug 2017, 16:17
rans6andrew

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
wireless router min operating system requirements?

Does anyone know why there are minimum operating system requirements for PCs to be connected to a wireless router? For example the TP-LINK Archer C60 Wireless Cable & Fibre Router - AC 1350, Dual-band says Win7 or later. What happens if a WinXP machine with a wireless card attempts to connect to it?

Background to this....

We have upgraded our ISP and have a faster broadband than we had before and this is supported by a new wireless modem/router. This has caused a few hiccups and wireless signal strengths, in some areas of the property, have fallen and access speeds are slower than before!

In addition, the new modem is less tolerant of me using a plug in telephone extension lead to shift the modem/router to the other corner of the building to give me better wireless connection to my workshop (wooden outbuilding to the rear of the premises). The broadband had been dropping out and a telecoms engineer suggested I move the modem back really close to the incoming telephone point and then either use a long ethernet cable or plugin "through the mains" network adaptors to get a fast signal to the rear of the main building. I did this and the drop outs have stopped but when I plugged in my old Netgear wireless router everything connects but it all runs a bit slowly. A look at the spec shows why, the Netgear MR314 is good for a combined throughput of just 11Mbs. Running around the premises with a laptop PC shows 37Mbs at the ethernet cable going into the Netgear but only 3.6Mbs coming out of any of the wired or wirelss connections. Going near to the new router I see the full 37Mbs over it's wireless link.

Thanks,

Andrew.