PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet MPL 2017
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2017, 23:03
gbotley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@A320ECAM,

Understandable you've questions. I'll aim to answer them the best I can. I'm a current cadet out in NZ. I'm not on the easyJet MPL, but I train alongside many who are and a fair few of those questions are universal regardless of course.

I will presume based on the focus on NZ that you refer to the MPL course at L3 Airline Academy as there are two other schools too. Much of a muchness either way.

1) How are the modules split? 6 months in Southampton, 6 months in Hamilton, NZ and 6 months in Bournemouth?

For the MPL it's typically..
  • 6 Months ATPL Theory in Southampton / Coventry
  • 4 - 5 Month MPL Flight Training in New Zealand
  • A couple of weeks and a few flights in Bournemouth on the DA42;
  • Then A320 sim for the remainder of your course (Nursling or London)

The course is about 2 years in duration from nothing to the right hand seat if all goes well.

2) Do cadets get time off to spend with family throughout training? I understand usually after finishing exams? How much time off is allocated during the course?

This depends on how busy the school is and how aligned to your planned timetable you are. For example, between ground school and coming out to New Zealand, our course - inclusive of the MPL chaps - had a month off. We applied for Visas etc in this time. In ground school the weekends were very much yours to do as you please so I did pop home on one or two occasions. To your last point, time isn't so much allocated as being 'off' as with the MPLs they need to get you line ready by the agreed date with the airline. You may not feel that's the case when in training, but a lot of decisions around the MPL focus on this point. If you're all ahead of time you might find yourself with a week off or two between phases. However, if weather in NZ or the UK hinders progress during the flying phase of training then that contingency may well be reduced to zero to keep you on track for your first line ready flight.

3) Can partners fly out to NZ with them and live in accommodation? I have explained that the course will be very intense.

The official standpoint is yes they may, with prior permission from the training co-ordinators. You're somewhat a mini slave to the security bond when at L3 and they will need you to always be at your best so tend to keep tabs on visitors. They may well charge a fee for their time in the accomodation also. Unofficially though, i've heard of people staying in the past with no issues. But yes, it is intense and you can easily fall behind when you've certain distractions around.

4) Have BBVA stopped doing loans altogether or do they still have an agreement with L3/CTC?

November 2017 is the latest end date given. If you can get an application in before then you may be in luck. With that said, speak with a financial advisor as I've heard from readers of my blog that a lot of them are finding deals suited to the training on the market from other lenders - at more favourable rates!

5) When are the course start dates likely for 2018?

Your guess is as good as mine there. It'll be as and when they need more applicants really. With that said, easyJet's MPL program has been open pretty much every year since its' inception. Either way, I believe easyJet understands it's sometimes treated as a stepping stone airline and with BA having offered many existing easyJet FOs jobs I can foresee them needing a steady flow of crew going forwards as those guys gradually hand in resignations. The industry is very fluid and changes all the time, so who knows.

Hope that helps.