PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2017, 11:36
roving

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My father was posted to Habbaniya Iraq in 1946 on a promotion tour as acting wing commander P1 and discovered a stack of files of pending court martials on the floor next to the desk which reached as high as the desk top.

He was toured out at 208 Sqn at the end of 1945 -- he was then flight commander of 'B' flight, having flown 230 hours in Italy and Palestine. The limit for fighter and fighter recon squadrons was then 200 hours. So he was due a rest from operational flying.

Given the sums invested in his training the RAF wanted to keep him so sent him on a Staff Course which ended in December 1945.

Habbaniya, which was like a holiday resort. was so hot in the middle of the day that most retired to the mess or wherever for a couple of hours R&R.

My father made use of a Griffin powered Spitfire on the pretext of checking the weather.

At the end of that six month tour, the AOC sent for him and said that he was forming a Mosquito squadron. My father commented that the glue melts in the Middle East -- which was a widely held view -- and the AOC replied that they were 'trying new glue'.

He wanted to stay in the service but not for another long tour in the Middle East, having been overseas for much of the previous four years, especially given he would have been stripped down in rank and pay, and he left joining 613 Sqn AAF.

Korea brought it all back to life and he rejoined.