PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Aircraft engineer liscencing prosess...
Old 28th Aug 2017, 21:26
Unleashed V12s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hasherucf
So the SOE and CASA Basics are nearly finished, it was extended by CASA but I'm unsure how long . It's a great way of getting a licence as you can self study. SOE's are available for download on the CASA website for free in a PDF form.

The new way is through a Part 147 Registered Training organisation like Aviation Australia. As a Darwin apprentice you would be sent to Cairns on block release. The RTO supplies you with a logbook related to your work.

RTO log books are based on Competence and normal have 3 tasks to complete for each section. SOE are time based and people like to see diversity of experience, these are assessed by CASA direct .

My bits of advice are
* If you can then do it as CASA exams , the travel and accommodation is a killer unless someone else is paying. These can be credited towards a course with AA.

* Smash out the theory . It's what people struggle with. Fill out your SOE/JOE religiously and make back ups . I used to do every Friday on work time.

* Don't limit yourself to Mech . I'm B1 /B2 which makes me very employable. We seem 15 years behind Europe where the trend is to Dual trade guys.

* Don't do it , go work in IT or something . Risk vs Reward isn't great and the licencing process in Australia is F**ked royally. Newly licenced guys come out with no types on their licence. I have 12 pages of grandfathered types on my licence.... many I haven't even seen. It's not a level playing field for newbies

They were extended till 2021 as far as I know

I have found the SOE on the casa website taken long enough, Thanks

As an casa exam is there another way?
I have heard I can do them up here but haven't looked into that
And what's the AA

Ok was going to do airframe aswell, but not the avionics... heck electrics do my head in

Yea I've heard that it isn't the best anymore, people got all the tickets but no liscence

Evan dad has a liscence for something he never touched, when they changed the rules he got it

I have been around aviation for all my life, flying swinging off spanners all that so I wouldn't call myself a newbie