PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK considers aerial refuelling for helicopters IHS Janes
Old 28th Aug 2017, 11:21
chopper2004

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Archimedes
The poster in question on Arrse is PPrune's own Magic Mushroom (not seen lately around here). He'd have been, if memory serves, a tad distracted by incoming mortar fire at the time of the trials, so his memory of them (as he has accepted) was incorrect - because it was a green airframe, he'd assumed it was an RAF Merlin with an Italian KC-130.

I'd respectfully suggest that you've misinterpreted his argument, Chopper - the fount of knowledge problem is the (former?) Merchant Navy (or possibly RFA) contributor who comments on all matters armoured, aviating and maritime. MM's point is that V-22 isn't endorsed, and given that the CHF's cab (if not the cabs themselves) have undertaken AAR trials, and given that studies were done into this in terms of Merlin for JPR - I don't know how far they got, but I was asked for (very, very minor) input, so someone was definitely thinking about it - wouldn't that be a more obvious first step than going out and attempting to buy V-22s for an AAR-capable capability?
Thanks Archimedes

You have just triggered my memory of the time - around 21 years ago did we not try to pitch the 101 to the USMC as a Phrog replacement? I did see an artists conception of a grey 101 in their colors flying over an LPH in AirForces Monthly.

Cheers