PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ballsy waterskiing display
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2017, 11:19
Crash one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BPF.
Thank you for the detailed analysis of every word of my post.
I had no idea that a simple butty run could be so complicated!
Why it is necessary for instructors to make such a song and dance about a simple, perhaps indiscreet, piece of fun flying, carried out by a pilot who appears to have flown the manoeuvre successfully, really baffles me.
As a point of interest, I do in fact attempt to fly the butty run in exactly the manner that you describe.
I keep the centreline as straight as possible aiming for a particular tree at the far end, I don't, as I used to, push the stick forward in a vain attempt to get the tail up instantly, I've learned that central stick gets it up quicker as the elevator is not acting as a drag flap!
I set up the aircraft to cruise hands off as best I can, maintaining height, speed and track as accurately as possible. So that I can follow the coastline with just light touches left and right.
I attempt to perform a perfect semi circular base/final decending turn ending at the threshold with a perfect three point touchdown at 50knots with as short a run out as possible without using brakes.
I perform several circuits in as accurate a pattern as possible so that they are overlaid on top of each other on the GPS when I study it afterwards.
I regularly examine the oleo legs after landing to check how little compression I can get on touchdown by the position of the last grease mark on the pistons.
This doesn't always happen exactly as planned.

I recently did a revalidation hour with an instructor.
I was strongly told that I should fly the circuit with reference to the compass, "never mind where the runway is, fly the correct heading!" Bright sunny day by the way.
PFL. Changed my mind on field selection at base leg, as it contained a rape crop, "suit yourself, but we're not going to actually land in it"
FFS!
My flying may not be perfect but I do, believe me, I do bloody well try!! And I don't need to have every word nit picked to death. It is very easy to do that!!
Can't do smileys I'm afraid.....