PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2017, 20:08
BusAirDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No I am not being negative, I am being realistic.
Most of us who do this, forego common sense.

You can't live of FI, well not supporting a family etc., maybe if you that part time with your normal job, than that could work, again not easy to even get those jobs, but if you do your training at good level you might get the odd FI jobs from time to time, but you can't survive full time on that, unless your wife also has a good job.

Regarding the TR, if you start of with the outset that you will not pay your own TR, you are already excluding yourself from 90% of the jobs that are around.

Regarding your opinion of Money, "MotoRinzler" - maybe you are very rich, or / and your wife has high paid job, so money is not an objective for you, than it's fine. Go ahead, go for it and live the dream.
However I suggest you first get your class 1 medical, your PPL as step 1 and 2, than check if you can spend around £80.000 - £90.000 on training, where at best you will have a job for the next 7 -8 years making around £2.000 a month.
If you can handle your family, and expenses for at least 7-8 years, maybe more, than that's reality, that's not about being negative.

I might sound negative, because this is the experience I have had, and only last year did I have the chance to have a proper holiday with my daughter, for the first time in over 4 year since, I started working. And it was not about the money alone, when you been commuting over different time zones for a couple of years, you discover that it's about lifestyle and life quality, and lets be honest, without money you have neither, and also you need to calculate the time.

I am personally very happy with my situation now, it's perfect for me, but it was 4 years of hardship, and still the investment has not paid itself back, and it will probably take me another 4 -6 years, before I can say I have reached where I wanted, and I am in a good place.

That's what you need to understand, and what's difficult to see when you have not started.

I know guys starting late 30's, and now have their command with BA, it's not impossible, but it's not easy.