PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fixed-wing or Rotary career? (incl Changing licence to Rotary)
Old 7th Sep 2003, 22:35
Decks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For what its worth I'll throw in my two pence worth.!!
I think like most things in life you have to begin with the end in mind. The best way to find out what the end is like is exactly this here...asking those employed in the industry and see what they have to say.
I am now employed as a SAR pilot in Ireland with a a large operator and have to say that I absolutely love my job. The flying is great, the money is good enough and an awful lot better than ninety nine percent of my school mates. The schedule is grand too with plenty time off jet lag free. Flying SAR can on occassion be a wee bit hairy but overall I dont think its more risky flying 200hrs on SAR or flying 600 in the North sea... and a lot less boring.!!! Even guys who fly cushy ailrline long haul flights with minimal turnarounds can ruin their career with a simple screwup.

I dont think that an airline career is always fun and games. For every one guy flying 747s long haul as a well paid P1 there are dozens flying huge numbers of sectors on much lower money and generally bored to tears. While the long haul stuff is appealling, many friends have said that the effects of jet lag and time changes really has a negative effect on the way their bodies feel a lot of the time... that it is a serious price.

Anyway thats my view. I know that lots of helo jobs are crap... I have worked quite a few but if you are prepared to give it a go and make the sacrifices to get where you want it certainly can be great. Good luck to you.