PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2017, 16:43
BusAirDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"MotoRinzler" by reading some of your posts, I have to agree with Redsnail, and also feel that you are looking for some validation to make this choice.

I can speak from personal experience, as I was similar age as you when I started.

First of all if you can't pay for your type rating, don't even consider it, unless you are happy to work as an FI, and can survive on £15.000 - £20.000 a year.
All aerial work jobs, are very hard to get, unless you have good connections and generally good experience, corporate / biz jets, is equally difficult, and the type ratings are at a high cost, a friend of mine was given 2 TR's by his employee, each costing close to $100.000, add to this the fact in biz jets, you are 100 % at mercy at your employee, now stable schedule, you might be away for 2 - 3 weeks, get back and go out again. But these jobs are not very easy to get, specially not for someone with low experience.

So no employee is going to spend this kind of money on a low hour 250 hour pilot.

Please don't give me that tosh that "money is not the measure of the value of my life quality" - when you have been working like a dog for 3 - 4 years, never being able to have a holiday when your children have their holidays, or you go to work when wife and kids are at work / school, and you come home when they are deep asleep 2 - 3 - 4 in the morning.
Even worse if you are commuting, you are away and commute home and to work on your rest days, and in a period of 10 days you are lucky to spend 1 - 2 days with your family, and you are telling me the family / wife will be supportive after few years like this?

And that you are going to be more loyal to your employee than a 21 year old, if you get a job which is 1 hour from home, so you will not change your job, because you are an older more rounded and honest person? Please don't make me laugh.

For the first job, we will almost do anything we need to get in, and you would be an IDIOT to be honest about your intentions, as you would not be given the job. Of course I want to commute for half a day, stay away from family and friends for another 10 days, and spend 2 days every 14 days with my family, because I want to be with your company, why would I want to move, I know I can get command here in few years, so of course, work is my priority, that's why I am happy to sell my life away.

You think this might sound extreme, it's not, it's the reality you are looking to enter if you are so lucky that you get a job.

First of all, you will not get many interviews, the ones you get you will need to prepare for, and you need to know what the companies are looking for, so you need to give the replies that their HR have recognised are the answers they are looking for.

If you can't pay your own type rating, than I would say don't even bother, because you will never find a job that will be able to give you a proper living wage if you have family, mortgage etc.

Sure us "older" candidates have many "good" attributes, but one of the reasons they will expect you to pay your own TR, is your age, they will have experience with older candidates, showing that they are not always equally fast learners, I have seen this myself from friend of mine, that was just not up to scratch for the mental games in the Sim.

I know many guys who got jobs, but they would mostly have a second source of income they could rely on, or a job / business they could go back to. But no airline will pay the TR for someone which could be a risk for them, who could run up training costs with extra sim sessions, extra period of line training etc.
Unfortunately age does not help you in this, but of course you will have other advantages that you must hope they will catch during your interview.

There are companies who might cover your TR, but they will deduct it monthly from your pay, so if you can live on £600 - £800 a month, than that might be an option if you are so lucky.

Conclusion, it is not impossible to achieve your dream, but be ready for the negatives. I personally went modular, had PPL from before, but ended up spending close to £80.000 - £90.000 incl. TR, over a period of around 4.5 years. After 4 years commuting long distances, I am where I want to be, however it all came at great personal cost, and you need to ask yourself are you ready for the reality that is not sold to you in the flight school.

Most likely you will complete the training, I assume part time, and you might not get a job, but will still have spent £50.000 plus, I was very lucky I got a job within 12 months of finishing my fATPL's, but I had to pay for my own TR to accept the job offer, the risk was on me if I screwed up my TR training.
During the first 2 years, I was home less than 80 days a year, and that included my commuting days, which I spent around 8 - 9 years commuting.
My first local job, I was commuting just over 4 hours a day for nearly 2 years, before I got my preferred base.

Are you this motivated that you can convince the people that interviews you that you are the right person for them?
When they do the interview, they are looking to tick HR boxes, so your answers should be aligned with their expectations of you.

My first interview which was abroad, I told them I wanted to join them, get my command with them, because I could get quick command, even move my family with me eventually, knowing full well this was all a load of BS, but honesty would not have gotten me my first job, because that would not have ticked the right boxes of what they wanted from me.

(When I completed my IR /fATPL, the head of school congratulated me, and told me whatever I did, I should try to get a Jet job asp., because it was the only way you could justify the massive investment at such a late age, and he was right)