PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Aircraft engineer liscencing prosess...
Old 27th Aug 2017, 04:15
Hasherucf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So the SOE and CASA Basics are nearly finished, it was extended by CASA but I'm unsure how long . It's a great way of getting a licence as you can self study. SOE's are available for download on the CASA website for free in a PDF form.

The new way is through a Part 147 Registered Training organisation like Aviation Australia. As a Darwin apprentice you would be sent to Cairns on block release. The RTO supplies you with a logbook related to your work.

RTO log books are based on Competence and normal have 3 tasks to complete for each section. SOE are time based and people like to see diversity of experience, these are assessed by CASA direct .

My bits of advice are
* If you can then do it as CASA exams , the travel and accommodation is a killer unless someone else is paying. These can be credited towards a course with AA.

* Smash out the theory . It's what people struggle with. Fill out your SOE/JOE religiously and make back ups . I used to do every Friday on work time.

* Don't limit yourself to Mech . I'm B1 /B2 which makes me very employable. We seem 15 years behind Europe where the trend is to Dual trade guys.

* Don't do it , go work in IT or something . Risk vs Reward isn't great and the licencing process in Australia is F**ked royally. Newly licenced guys come out with no types on their licence. I have 12 pages of grandfathered types on my licence.... many I haven't even seen. It's not a level playing field for newbies