PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quality of ATSB reports getting worse?
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2017, 01:57
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
This is why I return to my earlier comment - dipping the tanks prior to a flight, particularly of any duration, is a no-brainer. It costs a couple of minutes of time perhaps, but could save an awful lot of grief.
I could not agree more. Light aircraft fuel contents gauges are often unreliable for many reasons. Yet, when leaving the factory floor, they don't start off that way. Same with parking brakes. The problem then arises where general aviation instructors and pilots accept these type of defects as normal GA and then quietly sneak off and leave the decision to write up the snag to the next unsuspecting pilot who flies that aircraft. Yeah, right

Aircraft owners have the moral responsibility to do their bit and supply fuel tank dip sticks. After all, it is in their financial interest to keep the fuel gauges serviceable and thus lessen the chance of someone running out of fuel due to a defective fuel gauge. Having said that, if dip sticks are part of the aircraft equipment it would be good airmanship (Non technical Skills, if you prefer that buzz-word) for pilots to use them.

Last edited by Centaurus; 27th Aug 2017 at 02:13.