PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Replacement all-in-one NAS & Media streamer with concurrent HDMI and Toslink
Old 26th Aug 2017, 21:27
The late XV105

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacement all-in-one NAS & Media streamer with concurrent HDMI and Toslink

I am searching for a replacement all-in-one NAS & media streamer with concurrent HDMI and Toslink.

For the past few years I have successfully used an "Iomega TV with Boxee" as an all-in-one media device that on one hand is a 2TB NAS visible on the network (thus allowing easy copying of new media as well as access from other media streamers on the network) and on the other a highly capable streamer of that content to the TV with just about every audio and video codec (bar 4K support which I don't need). Importantly for me it also has simulataneous HDMI (to my TV) and Toslink (to my amplifier) output without needing to use an external converter to get the latter.

Unfortunately it has now failed and the only way I can currently find of replacing it is to buy three separate items:
  • A media streamer such as the Roku 3 as one example
  • An external USB 3 HDD to plug in to one of the other NAS' on the network (if I use it plugged in to the media streamer I will need to physically move it to the PC each time I want to add media files and then move it back)
  • An external HDMI to HDMI and Toslink splitter that allows both outputs to be active concurrently

Before I go down this route is there an all-in-one device that I have missed?

Cheers.
TLXV