PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ballsy waterskiing display
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2017, 02:01
Flying Binghi

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Proteus9
If you have a good understanding of the fluid dynamics it allows you to plane below stall speed and if landing on a gravel bar or bank allows a more controlled contact point at a lower speed. This skill is very useful for some pilots.
Yep.

From what i see of the water ski operations (never done it me-self ) there appear to be two types: Display operations done by the tiger moths, warbirds, etc. And task ops to/from gravel bars and beachs done by the big wheel STOL aircraft.

Display ops look to be mainly done at flight speed, i.e. the aircraft wings are still flying whilst the skiing is being done. Whilst task ops will generally see the aircraft slow to below wing flying speed (unless water current speed determines otherwise) and the aircraft is being supported on the water by the aqua-planning tyres.

Display ops can be 'flown' entirely at one speed whilst task ops are done at two different and site determined 'speeds'.

There are many other factors to consider so how do you train for water ski operations ?