PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uni or not? (Merged 2013)
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2017, 12:36
HBZ737

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally I wouldn't be distracted by HE (Uni) if you want to become a pilot.

Most airlines are only asking for 5 GCSEs (most 16 year olds finish with 12 these days).

However some airlines have asked for degrees (Generation easyJet being one for preferred choice stream).

It is important you can demonstrate competency in maths and physics and ultimately this will be needed for ATPL GS.

I Lecture and instruct in a sim (B738). I lecture Aeronautical Engineering and my students have not found it an advantage on application. I do believe it makes you a better pilot though. Not necessarily immediately towards flying but understanding systems can help when problems occur, be them operational or fundamental aircraft failures. However this is sufficiently covered to do the job via ATPL GS.

In terms of paying Uni back. Well I finished ten years ago. I started Uni late after embarking on an ATPL that didn't go through. Anyway, I pay £200 p/m straight out of my top line. They will continue taking it until its settled. I did a 3 year BEng then a teaching qual/Masters. It's nowhere near £60k though because fees were IRO £3k pa at the time.

Not all pilots stay flying. Some go into management so a degree could help their.

I guess if you found yourself against one other and they couldn't decide who to offer the job too but you were degree qualified and the other one wasn't, they might consider you a safer option as you've demonstrated the ability to operate at that academic level and therefore are more likely to pass the course. Assuming you had a proper degree that is and not one in David Beckham studies or similar!