PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help needed on 8 AEF Chippies 1966-1972
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2017, 14:32
Adrianh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help needed on 8 AEF Chippies 1966-1972

Hi Folks,
I was a young ATC cadet in the mid/ late 60's who dreamed of becoming a pilot in the RAF and had my first flight in a Chipmunk. The pilot let me take control for a short time before doing aerobatics and then in no time at all landed. He said I was a natural flyer and with that was grinning ear to ear for days after. I was hooked on flying.
Fast forward 50 years of RAF, then flying target drones for a living to the present and I have some great memories of those great days.

I'm researching colour schemes of the 8 AEF Chipmunks flown from RAF Shawbury from 1966 to 1972 . This is so the 1/4 scale model I'm about to build will be a replica of the first aircraft I took control of when I was an ATC cadet with 493 Sqn.
I remember vividly a "Winged 8" logo that was on each side of the fuselages below the front windscreen. Unfortunately I cannot find my ATC logbook but hopefully I may find a pic of my first Chippy. If anyone can post any pictures or info on the Chipmunk serials operating at that time I will be very grateful.
Adrian