PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Buccaneer's Deck Takeoff Button - Seeking Details
Old 24th Aug 2017, 07:49
Lordflasheart

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Schiller is correct on both counts, as I would expect.

When the subject of actually using the ‘deck take-off button’ was discussed (in terms of 801 Squadron Mk 1 SOPs in 1962-63) I think it was generally agreed that while no-one doubted that it would work as advertised, no-one wanted to be the first to achieve a catapulted belly take-off. There was a healthy reluctance to press the U/C up button for any other routine purpose than to raise the U/C immediately – in flight. In home waters there seemed to be little performance advantage. I do not recollect the subject being discussed again, even when severely performance limited during potentially hostile tropical operations. Whether anyone ever used the system ‘privately’ (outside of test flying) I do not know.

What combination of hot, heavy and low wind over the deck was it intended for?
IIRC, the Mk 1 minimum acceptable ‘acceleration after launch’ was 1 kt per sec – you loaded it up (or unloaded it) til the graph gave you that figure. Considering you came off the end at 50 ft/130 kts and the single engine safety conditions were 200 ft/150kts, there was an interesting performance lacuna. You could see why ‘automatic’ quick retraction was desirable.

By comparison, I was told the Mk 2 roared away at 7 kt per sec. Whereby hangs a different tale of technical woe.

LFH