PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 24th Aug 2017, 00:11
WillowRun 6-3

Location: Within AM radio broadcast range of downtown Chicago
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by underfire
......why should a pilot be afforded such luxury on incompetence? What other profession, given life safety issues, is afforded such luxury?
The question of punative sanction on the individual is veiled on the impact of aviation in general?
While there is certainly a lesson to be learned, how does that somehow releave the responsiblity of the perpetrator?

Bottom line, the individuals have been removed, and the impact has been mitigated, both present and future. Interesting , when people see a crime, and the perpetrator has previous offenses, everyone wonders why they still able to commit more crimes.....why didnt enforcement prevent this from happening.......
Really there are two things at work here, aren't there? I think your position tends to emphasize a kind of preventative as well as punitive purpose. These two pilots stuffed up so obviously and so badly that they cannot be trusted to operate an air transport category aircraft again - that's me paraphrasing you, and I hope accurately and fairly. Then there is the system view. And the point I was trying to make is that even if someone in the ultimate authority seat for decisions on such a termination of employment might decide on a lesser sanction based on the degree of stuffed-up-edness, that decision-maker might instead opt for termination, to make an example of them. Rather than affording luxury, I was trying to say, make it more severe, even if not as convincingly warranted in these two individual cases, to signal to everybody else that this is a dangerous set of conditions or circumstances and vigilance needs to be increased. Or to consider this option -- as I originally posted, this should be considered, but until the facts are known, I am not inclined, at all, to hold any certainty.