PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Differences training on a single seater
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2017, 23:05
Genghis the Engineer

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts
Differences training on a single seater

So here is my rather interesting problem.

I am an EASA CRI, in the UK with (aside from other hours and flying) about 700 hours and currency on microlights. As such I have no trouble flying, instructing and signing off differences on microlights.

We may be setting up a syndicate on a single seat taildragger microlight. The odds are most pilots will be experienced and current, but not have a sign off on microlights. Tailwheel differences is not mandatory for microlights, but microlight differences is.

Question is - what is the best way to handle it? My preference would be to get hold of something like a Thruster TST - but they are increasingly hard to get my hands on and are still somewhat larger and heavier than the single seater will be. Legally I don't need to fly with them so my feeling is that the pragmatic approach may be to do a thorough ground briefing and some ground running, sign them off for difference training, then to have them (obviously PiC) fly a series of briefed, mentored and debriefed airborne exercises until we're both content. Sub-optimal, but legal and workable with sufficiently high quality pilots, which they should be.

Thoughts anybody on that? All reminds me a bit of how young men were checked out on Spitfires in tbe early 40s!

G