PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2017, 17:12
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Petet
Thanks again for the feedback.

Having done further research, I note that No. 35 Squadron "Kinsman" exercises were flown to Yeovilton, Pershore, Ballykelly and Llanbedr. Is anyone able to confirm whether these were the only dispersal airfields utilised by the squadron (1962 - 1965)?
You would need to contact several sqn members for that period. Dispersals followed target allocation and were not necessarily earmarked for any particular sqn.

To tie this in with previous posts regarding the bomb load, what loads would have been used for Mick, Kinsman and Mickey Finn exercises?
For Mick the load would have been live rounds of either YS2 or later WE177.
For Mickey Finn it would have been training rounds of YS2 though I don't think there were enough to go around. I seem to think live YS2 were loaded when they ran our of drill rounds. Once loaded they would be downloaded and either returned to store or wheeled to the next aircraft for loading practice. From 1966 there were sufficient WE177 training round for one each.
For Kinsman you may or may not have had a shape loaded. The main role of Kinsman was to exercise the dispersal, not necessarily the crew. I know we went to Pershore (12(B) Sqn) when it was not on our target list.