PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KA Narrowbody order
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2017, 15:35
cxorcist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gnadenburg
Not unexpectably you've missed the logic. The cost base transfer is far quicker at KA.

Virtually all of our command promotion is on the C scale. Our F/O's are mostly on C scale and our Second Officers have to be cheaper because they operate as First Officers. Cabin crew. What do you think a mainlander makes?

What don't you get?
Here's what I don't get... You actually think that crew costs are primary in determining which flying goes to KA. Forget branding, flying rights, the market at destination, etc.; the only thing that matters is crew costs. Wow, that's thick!

By your own admission, it's merely a faster transference to the cadet scheme, and KA cadets actually make more than CX. So for a temporary cost savings, all the flying is heading to KA. I seriously doubt it. Even CX managers aren't that dumb. Wait, maybe they are, but let's hope not.

CX/KA can barely crew the flying they have, much less be picky and choosy about who flies what. Maybe KA sees more growth than CX going forward. That seems possible, but I don't think we will witness a full withdrawal of CX from regional flying anytime soon in favor of KA. It just can't happen quickly, even if they wanted it to.

Also, let's take the worst case scenario, save a total collapse of the airline in which the lights are turned off. CX gets drastically smaller, all the 77Ws on lease go back, freighters are spun off, and most of the A330s get transferred to KA; leaving CX as a bare bones long haul carrier. The cost basis actually goes up! The cadets making the least money get made redundant and the expats are left over. How does that help?

Sorry Gnad, I just don't see your logic. Maybe you should stick to pilot math...