PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BELFAST AIRPORT INTERNATIONAL
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2017, 00:17
SecondDog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EGAC is Better
No and yes. However an almost 75% increase in cost is taking liberties. Imagine the uproar if an enery supplier increased their prices by 75% over the winter due to 'supply and demand'.

I'm not complaining, I've used the airport more than enough (and got my money's worth) this year to write of the extra few quid to park in August. That said I feel for those people who save all year just to afford to get away once a year and then get whacked with an even higher cost for parking.
A 75pc raise is only transient though and likely to be a reaction to the car park being near capacity to try and calm demand so it will be unlucky to hit that tyoe of charge. The comparison to the energy market is futile because of the captive market that exists at BIA for parking. If there were other parking establishments nearby, the cost would be driven down by competition. Why do you think they worked so hard to shut down Karl et al. Same as the City and Boal.

As for the 'poor people saving up for their one holiday' I think they will likely have booked early and kept the price down. To cap it all off, parking charges at BIA are as nothing compared to rates across the water.

Swings and roundabouts.