PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a professional pilot, and finding a job
Old 7th Sep 2003, 08:46
moosp

Cool as a moosp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
... and those that consider price only are that mans lawful prey...

Office, like you I fly planks for a living and started (H) later in life. I had lessons in the UK, USA, (CA, GA, MS,) and Aus (SYD, BNE, PER) before finally completing the PPL in UK.

As Autorotate says the schools vary, but the bad ones don't last long. Each prang pushes their insurance up so high that they go out of business. Remember you are joining a school not a club, so treat each that way. (I stole that last sentence from a pprune contributor... good advice)

I enjoyed the Aus flying the best, CASA is better organised than many people make out and the requirements are testing but fair. Cross country's are outstanding. A small world of (H) instructors down there so most keep a high standard with the peer pressure. Weather is usually great and the price is reasonable, also for the accommodation.

From my small sample, USA schools vary more than Aus or UK. If you get a good one they are some of the best anywhere. Legislation is OK and you get eerily left alone by ATC and instructors at an early stage. Briefing and debriefing are not emphasized as much as under the UK/Aus system which I missed. The check ride seems a big jump up from the training whereas the other countries it felt like the next lesson.

UK has the weather factor although you'd be surprised how few days are lost to it. Make sure your aircraft has a heater... The price gets to you too, but if you add on your cost of accommodation and car hire etc abroad you may find it approaching the same total.

And BTW, take a pack of sliced lemons with you for each lesson to take the silly grin off your face after each flight.

FWIW