PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2017, 11:07
redsnail

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
MotoRinzler
I think you are looking for either proof or a guarantee that you'll make it as a professional pilot. There is no guarantee.

Promises, agreements written on paper/email, deals, stuff said at interview, all can and probably will be broken. Heck even contracts can be broken. I've seen it all before.

You're in North Wales, you get your first job Newcastle. They've asked you all of the above re family and stuff, you assure them that you won't leave etc. A year later, a job on something bigger and more money comes up in Liverpool. Guess what, all those things you said to your first employer are now void. That's reality. Or worse, you get your ideal job in Liverpool but now the company is moving out of that base and you now either are made redundant or accept a new base in Stansted. Great, you think, I'll get relocation allowance. Not necessarily, as you voluntarily took the base change, your move is at your expense. And so on.

I am sure all of this goes on in other industries. However, not many cost this much to enter. Of course, this assumes you get a reasonable FO position on £20-£25k/year.
Can you afford to earn less than that for 5 years post training?

If you really want to do it, go for it. I can't and won't stop you. However, too many folks enter the industry with only the sales brochure for guidance.