PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2017, 11:02
FODPlod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WE Branch Fanatic
FODPlod

I hope you are not forgetting the dash by Invincible from the Carribean to Sierra Leone in 1997:

Typically a Task Group would plan to transit approximately 300 nautical miles per day. In November 1997 the Permanent Joint Headquarters required air power to be rapidly deployed over Sierra Leone. The available strike carrier, HMS INVINCIBLE, was operating in the Caribbean. When first alerted of the potential tasking the commanding officer, acting within the bounds of his extant orders, re-positioned with his supporting Royal Fleet Auxiliary tanker to mid Atlantic. When the executive order to re-deploy was received HMS INVINCIBLE moved across the Atlantic ocean in only 5 days, a distance of some 3,200 nautical miles, at an average speed of 27 knots.

From British Maritime Doctrine - Paragraph 205.
Okay. Amend my previous post to state that major warships can move almost 650 nautical miles per day.

I note that QNLZ achieved 27.1 kts during her recent trials according to AIS although she is credited with being capable of 32 kts, i.e. 768 nautical miles (880 statute miles) per day (link).