PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Narrow Runway Ops
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2017, 08:48
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
This exercise dates back probably 35 years or so to an ICAO recommendation. Australia was one of the few (?) countries to implement it as a requirement.

In the early days, we looked at the Citation, GII, DC9 and, a little later on, other folk did the B737. I have no doubt that other Types have gone through the mill since then.

As others have noted, one of the main concerns relates to Vmcg deviations. The Australian approach came from the viewpoint of a critical operation's being the driver so wet runway and critical crosswind were included. Another matter related to a side step manoeuvre during the landing approach.

I spent my time at the runway head on the video (I had to write the reports so, I guess, that made some sense) and, I must say, it was interesting ... first time around with the DC9 (which, as we all know, is like a train on rails when it comes to a failure ... ) .. it quite disappeared out of the view finder (we were running a 1000mm 35mm camera lens as I recall and the field of view width was only something in the order of not very much - with the differences in format, this equated to something like hanging a 3500mm lens off a 35mm camera - .. I'd have to look up the files but something in the 0.5-1.0 degree range as I recall. Certainly, it was fine for measuring discrete deviations by scaling a known aircraft dimension).

Zzuf was involved from the Regulatory side in the early days so I am sure that he will pass on his not inconsiderable knowledge on the approach taken by the then Regulatory folk (ie zzuf and his off-sider engineer)

The current Oz requirements are here for those who wish to run through the document. A bit more prescriptive than the early days where we made it up on the fly via gentlemen's agreements and conservative understanding of what the goal was.

The early days were an interesting lesson in just how vicious Vmcg deviations can be .. for those of you who play with multi-engine conversion training ... please do be careful of Vmcg and Vmca .... tiger country stuff for those who are not sufficiently conservative. Another area where Vmcg can bite hard is with empty ferry flights using min speed schedules where V1 may be Vmcg-limited at low weights.