PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2017, 00:35
MotoRinzler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Redsnail & Council Van. Understood, and thank you for the time to reply.. both of you. I'd like to tease out a few thoughts on a few points you both raise if I may... provoke discussion and see if any contrasting views come out so I can get an idea of the general concesus.

My current job is safety critical. Public facing. I work as a crew of two and spend 8 to 12hrs in a vehicle with a work partner. The same one for 6 years with the odd change due to leave etc. I can relate to the concept of having to (or not wanting to) spend hrs on end with 'some'.

Although not aviation. The role has tasks where talk is minimal, yet communication is key. Not as formal as the flight deck, but I do very much grasp the concept of needing to be cooperative (but not blindly following), being clear and direct (yet not overpowering or agressive), when to discuss, debate, debrief and explore ideas (without being argumentative). When to support and when to lead. These, of course, are all very subjective... and I would say situational dependent.

Each attribute both of you have depicted as a possible negative, I could give you two positives for each. I'm not questioning if what you say is correct as I am here asking for advice; so It would be a little strange for me to say it's not correct.

For example. The idea that the self-declaration of flexible suddenly becomes inflexible once a job has been taken. I have to concede that one could indeed simply lie about the degree of flexibility that is actually available and the true degree of willingness. Equally the employer can do the same. Both could simply not 'shoot themselves in the foot' unless asked a direct question. Not my style... I'd rather be open, and expect the same.

I would equally find it extremely odd to find anyone who was so flexible that you could do anything to them and they would never say anything. Again; not my style. I do have self-worth and strong sense of whats right.

It's easy to say an employee isn't being flexable when they happen to mutter about being relocated for the 3rd time in 4 years when they were promised to not see more than 2 moves. This muttering doesn't have to be the spouse. I'm wondering how service families cope; as this isn't unique to airlines and aviation.

Costs and returns. Although I accept that the employer will face training costs, and therefore look for a return. I can't quite remove the notion that this is one of the very few industries that cost you £50k to £100k before you get an interview only to be given a job if you can then pay the employer another £30k more. I could quite confidently make the case that at my age; having committed such finances to a career change, I am less likely to run to another airline, less likely to put the job at risk, and probably happier moving into training than a young person that may be chasing money and promotions. Thus the true return is a stable and mature rounded future commander/training. That's before you then ask me how I know at 40 I want to be a pilot rather than asking me at 18. Remembering wanting something and having the funds to do it are completely different. Isn't there a risk the now 23year old changes their mind at 25 and wants to be a vet. I'd be interested in the turnover data of pilots when looking at the age of entry to service.

Family. I have to accept that you are completely correct. The family comes first. Does this make you a bad pilot and place you at the back of the line?

I'd struggle to believe that recruiters are all without family, all pilots, captains, and instructors are all without family. Thus having a family is probably more common than not. The family is only an issue for those who wish to see it as such. Again, linked to the flexibility issue. Nothing to say here that a young single person won't turn around and ask for maternity leave.

I've seen just as many single people have 'life issues' as those with family. As you say - depends on your experiences; t which I'd also add.... and how you allow those to creep into prejudices and judgements on others.

So far... I've not had anything to tells me I'm wouldn't be employable... just I'd have some explaining to do

I do read that Flybe and Easyjet (I think) are asking for 90% in all ATP TK exams, and FIRST series passes in both CPL and IR. I just can't confirm it from other sources. I also read stories of mid 40's being hired.... as I do of mid 20's not. Which brings me right back to why. Is it the rejected are not first series pass, 90% examers or was the MCC/JOC too short?