PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ultralight Flight Characteristics
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2003, 18:27
MJP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

G,

Ta for the prompt reply.

Jabiru does supply an appropriate Flight Manual (FM) for the factory-built Jabiru that I fly. The FM details the "Landing Approach speed" as 57 KIAS, which I have been using as Vapp / Vat.

Some pilots also advocate leaving a "trickle" of power from holdoff until touchdown, especially in gusty conditions. Now if I were to combine that "trickle" of power maintaining say, 1.7 X Vs or even 1.5 X Vs; would that not introduce the danger of "ballooning" from a sudden gust at the flare/holdoff ? My point is that by using 1.7 X Vs I may not need that "trickle" of power?

The FM lists Vs (MTOW / MLW, power off, flaps stage 2 landing) as 40 KIAS. I've already flown a Vapp of 60 KIAS (ie 1.5 x Vs) into a variable headwind of 15 gusting 18 Kts; completed the flare; power off promptly and held off and the controls still feel spongy and unresponsive; to be topped off with a very "positive" touchdown from this little !!!!

I note also from the FM that the max. crosswind for takeoff / landing is 14 Kts. Given what I've experienced so far, I reckon I'd tell my students not to fly in ANY kind of wind > 10 Kts!

Thanks for your further elaboration. Info given so far has helped. I am also reading FAA AC 90 - 89A on the flight testing of amateur-built / ultralights to see if I can gain additional insights.

Aye,

MJP