Thread: Chc Info
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2003, 17:55
Time Out

PPRuNe Time

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another perspective

Aquila105

Without responding re specific bases or countries - you mention “family” and the following comments really only apply if you are meaning “wife only”, or if your children are adults.

I am sure that Donut King and SASless meant well with their rather protective, overly cautious comments. Of course I’m not suggesting they are Victorian in their approach to this – certainly not! I am sure they are most “gentlemanly” and appropriate (at home AND away) – but where’s the belief in shared decision making? Do wives really want decisions “made for them?” Perhaps if they do, then DK & SASless picked it well.

However I would suggest some/many wives would rather be with their husbands, even in circumstances where there is “shortage of food, security, shopping”. If they go with eyes wide open, and are both well informed, then why not travel as a couple, provided company support is sufficient to make it practical. Of course each circumstance needs practical consideration, once you’re fairly well informed about the particular base for which you are heading.

Being in remote locations, especially those with an “utter lack of western culture” will provide experiences that can either be yours only and never really shared with your wife, or can be shared experiences. You and your wife are in the best position to decide whether or not going together is worth serious consideration. There is no easy answer.

SASless, what does the expression “the quilting bees” mean? “...the Flower Club....Saturday morning yard sales.....” You aren’t intentionally being just a tad provocative, are you?