PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 20th Aug 2017, 17:49
aterpster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peekay4

On possible administrative sanctions, if warranted, even the FAA may have limited recourse in seeking enforcement actions against the AC759 pilots since presumably the pilots only hold Transport Canada licenses and not FAA certificates. The FAA may refer possible violations to Transport Canada via the State Department and the Canadian Embassy; However, it would be up to Transport Canada to take matters further (or not).
From what little I know those referrals often go nowhere. When I was still working I was being hooked up to a tow bar to be towed into a gate at LAX Terminal 3. A KAL 747 was lost in the smog on a visual to 24R. He did a 90 degree turn descending out of about 500 feet and rolled wings level just in time to prevent the right wing from hitting the ground. It make the local radio news.

An FAA friend told me that the tower was really upset. It was written up and sent via the State Department to the Korean equivalent. Nothing came of it. KAL could do no wrong.