PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2017, 14:42
MotoRinzler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Redsnail; thank you. I have taken onboard your comments.

With reference to the inclination that it's a win for me if I earn the funds back or not I'd have to respond with; In my view it's not all about money. This isn't my hope/path to financial gain.

I'd like to earn some of it back yes..... we all need to live and put food on the table. And if I come out by my retirement on top then all the better. I'm sure I will make some choices purely based on finances as might be dictated.But I'm not aiming to measure success via a balance sheet alone. I'm sure you'd agree life is far more complex than just the bank balance.

I'm lucky that my wife is fully supportive and fully understands the need if it happens to commute / move / spend time away. It's impossible to say there won't be any issues as life is never that easy.

I'd love to be able to say I'd play things smart and 'time' my entry but at my age I very much doubt I have that luxury.

Your comment regarding could a person see themselves in a small room with me for 10hrs is interesting, as I suspect many a recruiter thinks along this line (organisational fit and personal likability) within their own respective employment context as a final selection method (not getting into the merits or correctnes of it).

In real terms; does your face fit. But this of course is I assume after someone has met with you. So you could say that you're already 'employable' by getting an interview. The fact that a recruiter warms more to one pilot than another is personal preference. I can't see recruiters wasting time interviewing un-employable potentials, unless I'm completely out of touch.

If I'm honest my expectation of what made one pilot more employable than another was more than ones face fitting; that exam results, schools or life experiences and was looking for insight into what these are in today's world and climate. Example. I'm to understand that for BA. I'd be un-employable due to being low hour fATPL modular.